February 2, 2022
When you think of ozone, what comes to mind? You might be surprised to learn that this gas, which composes so much of our planet’s atmosphere, also has some remarkable medical and dental applications. Let’s talk about what ozone therapy in Southlake is and how you can benefit by visiting a holistic dentist who offers it.
What Is Ozone Therapy?
Ozone molecules are negatively charged, and they are naturally attracted to areas of bacteria and inflammation in the mouth. They expose bacteria to something called a transient oxidative burst, which effectively kills harmful microorganisms. Ozone also alters the pH level of the mouth, which makes it more difficult for bacteria to grow and thrive.
When used in dentistry, ozone can accomplish quite a bit, including:
- Fight cavities. Ozone can prevent small cavities from enlarging and promote remineralization of your tooth enamel.
- Address gum disease. Gum disease occurs when bacteria attack the gum tissue. Ozone kills those bacteria and can give your mouth an opportunity to heal.
- Disinfecting teeth. Ozone can kill bacteria inside a tooth during root canal therapy, minimizing the chances that retreatment will be necessary later on.
What to Expect with Ozone Therapy
Some patients are a little leery of ozone therapy because it isn’t commonly used in mainstream dental practices. However, as an experienced holistic dentist, Dr. Thomas is confident that ozone is both safe and highly effective when it is administered properly.
Here are a few highlights of what to expect with treatment:
- Ozone is made up of oxygen atoms, so allergic reactions to it are virtually nonexistent.
- The treatment does not require the use of a drill or topical numbing agents, making it ideal for individuals who are a little nervous when undergoing dental treatments.
- Improved oxygen delivery to your oral tissues can promote healing and make your recovery process as easy as possible. (Ozone therapy itself does not require a recovery period, but if it is used in conjunction with root canal therapy or another restorative treatment, you can still expect a bit of post-op discomfort.)
Why Choose a Dentist Who Offers Ozone Therapy?
Yes, it is possible to perform effective dental treatments without medical ozone. However, Dr. Thomas and our team are invested in our patients’ overall wellness, and ozone can make your experience in our office as easy as possible. It promotes conservative treatment, which enhances your comfort and supports your head-to-toe health.
Would you like to learn more about ozone therapy or other methods used in holistic dentistry? Dr. Thomas and our team are ready to answer your questions!
Meet Dr. Thomas
Dr. Preetha Thomas is a holistic dentist in Southlake who has been practicing for many years. She is a member of the International Academy of Biological Dentistry and Medicine, the International Academy for Oral Medicine and Toxicology, and other prestigious organizations. Ozone therapy is one of the many services she offers. If you are interested in partnering with her to care for your oral health, contact Enclave Dental at 817-912-1218.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.