February 24, 2021
As people look for natural solutions to promote their general wellness and to feel their best, there are many options available. Among the leading holistic treatments for a variety of alignments are essential oils. Their therapeutic benefits extend beyond improving stress, anxiety, and pain. In fact, there are specific oils that have been shown to aid sleep apnea in Southlake. If you are using an oral appliance, adding certain essential oils to your treatment plan can be the natural remedy you need to sleep soundly.
Essential Oils for Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea is a condition that causes frequent interruptions in breathing that most often results from an obstruction in the upper airway. Along with your conventional treatment, essential oils can make it easier to breathe in several ways. Specific concentrated volatile compounds are extracted from various plants, which can be diffused into the air, ingested, or applied topically. This allows them to trigger certain parts of the brain from their smell or being absorbed into the bloodstream. Although there are many oils available, here are the top 6 oils recommended by your holistic dentist in Southlake to help treat sleep apnea:
- Lavender: The evergreen shrub from the mint family is known to help soothe and relax when applied to bedding, the neck and chest, or diffused into the air to promote better sleep.
- Peppermint: The strong aroma of peppermint can clear nasal passages and congestion. It can also reduce headaches that might keep you awake at night when used in a diffuser before going to bed.
- Eucalyptus: The fast-growing evergreen has anti-inflammatory properties to reduce mucus caused by common colds and flu. It’s an effective solution to open the airways while you’re sleeping when placed under the nostrils or diffused into the bedroom.
- Thyme: The potent oil can cleanse and purify to prevent blockages in the airway. It’s typically applied to the neck and chest to keep the airways open.
- Lemon: Studies have found lemon oil can reduce the intensity and frequency of snoring, which relates to sleep apnea. It also has antispasmodic properties to keep the nasal passages moist. When combined with other beneficial oils, it can decrease snoring and help keep the airways clear.
- Olive: Olive oil lubricates and moisturizes the soft tissues in the back of the throat which can help prevent them from collapsing while you’re sleeping. Ingesting just a few drops before bed can ease discomfort while breathing.
Breathe Better Tonight
While essential oils are beneficial for treating sleep apnea, they aren’t a substitute for your oral appliance. It’s best to continue using your device along with the homeopathic remedies to breathe easier for a better night’s rest.
About Dr. Preetha Thomas
Dr. Thomas earned her dental degree at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine and has completed advanced training in orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics. She is specially trained to treat sleep apnea using a holistic approach. If you need sleep apnea therapy today to schedule your consultation.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.